lørdag, august 19, 2006



There isn't a lot of choice for front racks that might conceivably fit a small-wheeled bike. There's the Nitto M-12 that I already tried, at $49.95. There's the Nitto "mini front rack" as sold by Rivendell for $65 +$10 for the fork clamps (non-member prices). Then there's the Nashbar front rack, for $14.99, now sale for $9.99.

I would sorely have loved to try the "mini front rack", as 1) Nitto racks are beautifully made and 2) it clamps to the forks rather than the brake bosses. But I'm sorry, $75 for a tiny front rack is just way beyond the pain-barrier..

So I ended up ordering the Nashbar front rack, wondering what I would get for $10.. As it turns out, I'm quite impressed! Painted black aluminium obviously looks very different from polished stainless, but I don't think it looks too bad on the bike. The fitting hardware supplied with the rack is great - all stainless steel and even included locking nuts. (Nitto couldn't be bothered to include anything at all..) Fitting it was a doddle, and any doubts I had about it's aesthetic appeal have become secondary to how practical it is. I hate having a bike without a rack, since I can't stand riding any distance with a bag on my back. So far I've bungied all kinds of loads on the front, up to and including almost 20 lbs of groceries. The handling is fine, since the load is so low (20" wheels rule!). Obviously noticable, but no worse than panniers on lowriders.

Ironically, the box in the picture contains the Nitto rack, taken as I was delivering the box back to UPS ;-)

1 Comments:

Blogger defixated said...

Hi Magnus. Thanks for this blog and all of your very helpful comments on bikeforums. I have an aluminum Swift and got the Nashbar front rack. It's been great, especially easy to use with a backpack hooked over the handlebars.

I sold my car a few weeks ago and finally bought a pair of Ortlieb Front Roller Classic panniers. You mentioned that your Ortliebs fit the Nashbar rack, but I can't seem to get them on securely. What are you hooking the large clip on the bottom to? I can just get it to contact the bottom of the rack but there's still a fair bit of wiggle.

Thanks, Anil

2:22 p.m.  

Legg inn en kommentar

<< Home